Email Etiquette

Friday, September 30, 2016

Hello Joyful Speechies!

The beginning of the school year means students transferring and having to send/receive record requests from other schools. This year particularly I've felt the emails have been...dare I say...rude?

I know I'm not the only one receiving these half-(hearted) emails.

What do I expect when I open an email?

Well for starters, you need a greeting. For example, "Good morning." You need the body of the paragraph to state your business, in which throwing in a few "please and thank you" never hurt anybody. And then you should definitely say "Thank you" and then sign your name.

Because you know what? As miserable as it is to have to sit down and write a polite email- someone is taking time out of their day to read it. So you better make them feel at least a little tiny ounce of respect in it.

P.S. Please God, don't be a Gary and write your emails in comic sans. Yes, I've heard from teachers that it's the "only font that has characters the way we teach writing." But if you're writing an email, the other person likely can already read. Use an "adult" font, like Times New Roman, Georgia, or even Tahoma. And also don't make it 24 point font. It makes everything look like it's written for a Kindergartener. Some say personal preference on this one, buuuuuut... I firmly believe this should be a rule of thumb.


BARF and INCORRECT. Gary from "Parks and Recreation" on NBC

And look, I know we're busy. I know that everything isn't always sunshine and roses. But a little decency in the form of a simple, "Hello" would be much appreciated. And I'm sure you can agree.

Joyfully,

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
/Users/laceymancl/Desktop/Lacey